|Sunset behind St. Paul's Cathedral, taken from One New Change.|
Thankfully, London has a number of great vantage points from which you can see some remarkable views, many of which are free, or fairly cheap.
Free viewing areas (city):
- One New Change - EC4 - From atop this shopping centre you can get up close and personal with St. Paul's Cathedral, with spectacular views to the south, too.
- Sky Garden - EC3 - Sky Garden - One of the best free viewing areas in the City of London. Offering staggering views over the city, and up and down the River Thames, this is a perfect spot to take in the views. (Free, but tickets need to be booked.)
- Switch Room at Tate Modern - SE1 - One of London's newest viewing platforms offers 360 views of London.
Free viewing areas (parks):
- Alexandra Palace - N22 - From here you can see the whole of London, spread out before you, and, on a clear day, you can even see the mast at Crystal Palace.
- Primrose Hill - NW1 - For some amazing sights of London, especially in the evening, Primrose Hill is the perfect spot on a summer night.
- Mudchute Park and Farm - E14 - A wonderful 32 acre site in the heart of the Isle of Dogs, offering unparalleled views of the nearby Canary Wharf skyscrapers.
- The Point - SE10 - Located next to the Royal Observatory The Point offers great views of London and is the perfect place to watch the sunset.
Not free, but worth the expense:
- Westminster Cathedral - SW1 - The Tower Viewing Gallery offers amazing 360 views of London.
- View From The Shard - SE1 - This is fast becoming London's premier viewing gallery, which it thoroughly deserves.
- London Eye - SE1 - Offering a wonderful perspective of London, the London Eye is a unique way to see the sights, day or night.
- Emirates Air Line - SE10 & E16 - There is no other way to get these stunning views of the River Thames and Canary Wharf, than from one of the Emirates Air Line gondolas.
- St. Paul's Cathedral - EC4 - One of London's most iconic and historical buildings offers some incredible views, from the heart of the city.
- The Monument - EC3 - Climbing the 311 steps may not be easy for everyone, but the views make it a worthwhile venture.
Of course, there are many other viewing areas, including rooftop bars and restaurants, offering exceptional views, that are worth searching out, too.